Monday, April 30, 2012

Save the Earth Cricut Crawl



Welcome to Saxey Designs and the SEVENTH Fantabulous Cricut Crawl...Fantabulous Cricut's version of a Blog Hop!

In honor of our Home Planet, Mother Earth, we're having a "Save the Earth" Crawl...each Design Team member will be featuring an originalUpcycled-Themed Project that includes at least one Reuseable/Recycled Item along with at least ONE Cricut Cut.
 
If you've come from visiting Marlene, you're in the right place! If you've just happened across my blog and would like to play along with our Fantabulous Cricut Crawl, start HERE.

Make sure to check out each DT member's blog for some awesome inspiration! There will be PRIZES along the way at our DT members' blogs, AND there will be a Grand Prize up for grabs at FCCB for one participant that submits a "Save the Earth" project at FCCB!

How fun is that?

For my project I made a shaker card from the plastic packaging of a Cricut cartridge.  In the past I have seen some adorable shaker cards and I have always wanted to try to make one.  I knew this crawl was the perfect opportunity to try it out!  For the basic instructions I used click HERE. I did make some modifications from this tutorial.  Instead of Acetate, I used the plastic packaging from my Cricut cartridges that I had saved.

The gumball machine I used came from Sweethearts.  I used the blackout image for the backing.  Since there is no layer for the glass, I welded a circle inside the gumball machine.  As for the circle, I played with the size of the circle until I felt it looked right.  Once the gumball machine was cut out, I used my ATG gun to adhere the plastic to the cut.  I did not directly measure the plastic but used more of a trial and error method.  I cut down the plastic until I was happy with the way it looked.  Then, I took foam mounting tape and put it around the glass as to form a barrier so my "gumballs" would not escape.  I added buttons and glitter to the plastic piece and then adhered the gumball machine to the black out layer using foam mounting tape.  All that was left were some finishing touches, I added some doodling and twine.  I am so excited to make more of these.  they are so much fun!

Pin It




Now it's your turn! Let's see your Upcycled-Themed projects! Make sure to include a Cricut Cut somewhere on your project!
Next stop...Melissa's blog. Go see what she has in store for you today... And when you're done, make sure to link up your project to FCCB's Fantabulous Cricut Crawl post to be entered into the contest! 
Happy Crawling!

28 comments:

  1. Oh man! This shaker card is FANTASTIC! I definitely want to try one! TFS! :)
    ♥ Cyndy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, fun, fun! What a great card Megan! The colors and patterns are all so bright and happy and I love the buttons and glitter. This is one of those cards that just makes you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan,WOW AWESOME job wiith your great card!Such a great recycled project,Have a nice day!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely darling idea! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute!! i love that you used buttons in the shaker part!!
    Kristan 9New follower)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable project. Love that you used buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic project! Love the cute gumball machine and the buttons are super cute! Cool idea!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a super cute shaker card! I love the you used buttons and recycled old cricut cart plastic. I always keep the plastic and this is such a wonderful idea for using some of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous project! Thanks for all the clear instructions! I am a new follower #104! Please come visit me sometime!
    Carolyn
    http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com
    cccscraproom@windstream.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. very colourful and bright! love it!
    Sheila, FCCB DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute, and a great idea.
    suekimmet at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MY GOODNESS Megan!!! Where do I even start?!?! This is adorable!! The colors, the buttons, the stamp, the twine....everything is GREAT!!! Awesome job! Just telling you....I WILL be 'scrap-lifting' this idea!!!
    Melissa
    FCCB DT
    scrappymacdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Megan your card is so cute! What a neat idea using the plastic from a Cricut cart. That stuff can come in so handy. The button make such good gumballs. You did a great job on this...

    Thanks, Janis aka ~JD~
    jdegouff@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so awesome. I love it! Totally want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! Great idea for recycling....love it! TFS!

    mb6464@hotmail.com
    marciasmemories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this is so cute! love it.
    Thanks for sharing,
    -Brittany
    brittanyjoyce@hotmail.ca

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea and great instructions for this. I definitely will be giving this a try. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful idea, and a great recycle project...love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute card. Thanks for sharing the link. I will have to try this. Love the buttons as the gumballs.
    Ogdendoll@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute! Love this but also have to say how mch I liked your little red wagon and watermelon - MyScrapChick.com has such great designs that you have brought to life!

    isa - ScrappyDistractions.blogspot.com
    lisa dot rea at kbmg dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is cool! Love it :) Haven't made a window or shaker box in years! Will have to rethink that now!

    Kathi
    http://kathiscreativetherapy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I used the package from my cricut box too!Love your card! Thanks for sharing.
    Roxx.T

    ReplyDelete
  23. great project I am a new follower. I love the button gumballs
    katieoscreations@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Too cute! My niece would love a card like this...shes goes gumball crazy. Thanks for the great idea. Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely card. It is the perfect use of the many Cricut cart packages we use. Love the bright colors.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really cute! Love the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So super-duper cute!!! I've used this method once, but I love how you combined it with the gumball machine. Great job!

    Your DT pal,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks fabulous! I especially like the way you've used the twine at the bottom. It looks fantastic!
    (I am SO sorry that I'm SO behind in blogging. I did want to see your Save the Earth project though - and am glad I found some time to pop by!)

    ReplyDelete